View Single Post
Old 07-29-2011, 10:19 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Eddiebuckle

Originally Posted by breakingglass View Post
1. his GP gave him one month worth of a new med that really seemed to work for him..... the GP won't help him any further. now he is a mess and i dont know who or what kind of doctor to call.

2. oh and i might mention that AA is not an option. he went to a couple of meetings and the religious part of it totally turned him off. as it would me. so please dont' suggest that option. he's so not going to go for all the touchy feeling hugging and circle making kind of stuff....
BG,

I'm sorry your husband is struggling. Here are my thoughts:

1. many pharmaceutical companies have free/reduced cost programs for their drugs. Have you researched that option? Given your husbands work situation, he might qualify for assistance.

2. I understand the reluctance. I live in NC now but was raised in the Boston area & familiar with the "culural norms" about religion back home, and I was very resistant to having the god-stuff shoved down my throat. I am now 18+ months sober and for me AA is not about forcing god on anyone (and trust me, you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a bible thumper in this neck of the woods). Whatever concept your husband has of order and good in the world suffices - for me, it was my group and the people who were sober and had their * together. The sad fact is, he almost definitely won't win this battle going solo.

3. It's hard not to notice that he's the one who should be posting, not you. Sure, you have your half of the street to take care of, but until he's out there dealing with this head on, not much is going to change.

If your husband is serious about getting and staying sober, he needs to be a little more willing and open minded. This is not a nuicance situation he is facing, it is life or death. Until he is clear about that and willing to respond accordingly, it doesn't matter what approach he uses to get sober, he's going to have a rough time of it.

Good luck.