View Single Post
Old 07-28-2011, 06:45 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
wellnowwhat

I can identify with the no friends situation. I tend to isolate and when we moved long distance I remember walking in a mall and thinking "I will not bump into anyone I know because I don't know anyone here." I felt small and lonely.

Then I met some people and it got better for a while, until the drinking got worse and we stopped going out or inviting people in, so here I was alone again.

I've been getting out with Alanon and yes, hanging with some of them, and reconnecting with some people that I had distanced myself from.

Also, I find that when I am out and about and I am dealing with people, waiters, sales help, whoever, I try and cheer them up and make them happy and it ends up cheering me. And no, I don't crack one of those tired jokes that older men seem to make (sorry guys). I just make sure my smile is warm, my thanks is genuine and I look them in the eyes when talking to them. I chat, but not enough to slow them down from their job. And I am not trying to make them my newest friend either.

It helps keep me more approachable. No one will befriend me if I keep my old black cloud hanging over me. And since making this effort I find myself involved in more conversations initiated by others, e.g. in a cash desk line up etc.

Even a little human contact goes a long way when you feel alone.

Things will get better.

And don't forget your friends here.