Thread: Relapse
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2011, 05:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
LexieCat
A work in progress

Congrats on your year--that's awesome.

You know, one of the standard bits of AA "wisdom" is stick with the winners. That doesn't mean that we don't do 12th Step work with others who are still drinking, but this guy isn't a 12th Step prospect. He isn't interested in quitting drinking right now, evidently.

Get involved in your Home Group, make some firm friendships with women in your group. I was never particularly comfortable hanging out with women (for some reason all my life I've had closer friendships with men), but my sponsor tells me, "The men in AA will pat you on the a$$, but the women in AA will SAVE your a$$." I'm starting to get the point.

I got friendly (in a casual, platonic way) with a couple of men in AA when I was newly sober, and there really was a weird "vibe" in the background. I backed off, remaining pleasant but letting other people give them rides and deep conversation about recovery.

I'd cut this guy loose if I were you. He'll get it if he wants it bad enough, but you don't have to be part of his recovery. Look out for your own.