View Single Post
Old 07-27-2011, 04:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
TonyF

I think it has come to that. Thanks for this post it helps me see the situation much more clearly.

As for counseling I'll make an appointment but I have some reservations. I have always considered a counselor to be the mental equivalent of a prostitute (no offense to anyone). Though a very safe outlet to vent, the dialogue feels unnatural. One hour you're pouring your life's secrets out to someone and then it's considered inappropriate to call them, ask them about their life or hang out with them. It's not an anonymous encounter either. I already am essentially a sociopath and I am sure that personality type is a major contributor to my drinking. Though I have tried, I find it extremely difficult to trust anyone halfway intelligent IRL.

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi Tony - welcome

Maybe it's best to turn that idea on its head Tony?
Stop drinking and you'll get that mental clarity

I waited for a lot of conditions to be fulfilled, so I could quit - but it never happened.
There was never a good time to quit

I believe action is the key Tony - you don't have to understand it, or be ready for it - that's head talk to try and throw you off, to keep you drinking - you just need to do it.

Get some help - see a Dr, a counsellor, go to an ER, visit a recovery group meeting...even if you've done these things before, anything must be better than the life of chaos you're leading.

just do whatever it takes to stop drinking.
Everything else falls into place from there

D