Thread: newpolliiiiii
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2011, 04:09 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
DoubtfulDebs

Question

Originally Posted by Boleo View Post
" There is nothing wrong with your television set. Do not attempt to adjust the picture. We are controlling transmission. If we wish to make it louder, we will bring up the volume. If we wish to make it softer, we will tune it to a whisper. We will control the horizontal. We will control the vertical. We can roll the image, make it flutter. We can change the focus to a soft blur or sharpen it to crystal clarity. For the next hour, sit quietly and we will control all that you see and hear. We repeat: there is nothing wrong with your television set. You are about to participate in a great adventure. You are about to experience the awe and mystery which reaches from the inner mind to... The Outer Limits."
— Opening narration – The Outer Limits show – 1960s

DoubtfulDebs;

I am not trying to discourage you, Just trying to give you a caveat. While it may be said that there are no wrong ways to stay sober, there certainly are a plethora of unreliable ways to stay sober (both in and out of AA).

When you said "anything i can get myself into, i can get myself out of using smarter psychological methods and so on." It brought back scary memories of where I was at, when I tried to use psychological tricks & tips to stay sober.

It works for some of the people some of the time. Do you really want to settle for a "good" method of recovery, when it is not only a life & death issue - but a life-long journey as well?

"Sometimes the good is the enemy of the best".
(Abe Lincoln)
okay… so i come back from one of the most rewarding days of my life, made doubly good because i know i'm enjoying a weekend in a hotel on expenses (all legit, i've earned it recently ) and will get to see the sights sober as a judge... to see your post telling me that my method of recovery is something i am 'settling for' and is not – this is very clear – 'the best' method.

i won't have to look much farther than your sig to see what you think may be the 'best' way to quit boozing.

i am glad that this method worked for you and i wish you lifelong success with it, however it is against my deep-seated religious beliefs (in which i am the only person accountable for actions i take with my free will) and has also proven to be unsuccessful and counterproductive when i did give it a try before finding rational recovery.

if you continue to post at me undermining my chosen method of recovery, which so far has worked 100% and with less mental struggle than any previous tries, i will request a moderator steps in and either asks you to cease these statements, which can in no way be construed as supportive (and furthermore are being made in the secular part of this forum) or if they don't wish to do that, that they remove my account from this board – this is because i joined for supportive interactions and not to be told i am 'doing it wrong' when so far my recovery has been pretty plain sailing.

i would never dream of entering any forum using a method that has failed for me and attempting to tell other people they are 'settling for' a 'second best' method.
i don't see how much more clearly i can spell out how inappropriate (not to mention, the polar opposite of 'humble') your replies to me in this thread have been, and while i don't wish to begin to guess at your motivations for posting what you have, one thing i do know is that you sound exactly like my 'addictive voice' ie that part of me that against my better judgement urges me to drink, in part by telling me that nothing i can do is more powerful than that urge

now, i'd like to drop this, but since i'm not the one who piled in critiquing someone's recovery to begin with, the ball is in your court as to whether you want to continue. i didn't join here to get into fights or verbal contests over who's doing what right, y'know?

i imagine we all have a pretty big load of gratitude to whatever system is currently saving our lives and our sanity, so any such contest would by definition be pointless...

peace.

debs.