Thread: Impending doom
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2011, 05:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
LifeRecovery

jamaica-

For myself I struggle with any "negative" feelings sometimes. They are hard and I am working on removing the stigma in my own heart about them.

That was not the point of my post though...it was this. For me I am learning that acknowledging them and being with them helps me to move through them faster. I used to try to stuff, deflect and "not deal" with them. I had a very stressful incident two weeks ago. It threw me into a tizzy, and I noticed myself getting depressed. A year ago I would have tried to not feel it but would have gotten busy, gotten flippant and struggled for a long time (months probably) with those feelings as they bubbled up. This time I realized what I was feeling (depressed), did NOTHING for two days but sleep, cry, watch TV, read trashy books, neglected my lawn etc. By the middle of this week the stress was starting to let down and I am feeling more calm etc.

I don't know how actually feeling stuff helps, but for me it does. Maybe it is partially being honest and/or out of denial with myself.