Old 07-20-2011, 05:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
wywriter

She's 7 1/2 months now, AH lost his job two days after she was born, after a month of suspension for showing up drunk to work (in surgery!). She just cut her second tooth, and I'm currently searching for a crib since she's about the same length as her bassinet and has figured out how to pull herself to sitting :P. I've been trying really hard to focus on them, focus on work, focus on finally getting my van fixed at the end of the month (almost a year broken down...part of that focusing on work thing , it's hard to write well when you're miserable), focus on setting up the new aquarium (one of my best-loved hobbies-turned-business for many years, gave up because others demanded my time), and anything else other than the alcoholic elephant in the room.

Most days it works, and I know my son at least seems a lot happier with the changes. I was raised by an alcoholic mother who is still extremely co-dependent, and it's really nice and valuable to be able to look objectively and see where all of my preconceived notions came from -- like the one that everyone else's happiness is more important than my own, for instance. I guess the first step to finding your way out of a cave is to figure out where you are and how you got there .