View Single Post
Old 07-15-2011, 09:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Alone22

"R"AH's sponsor doesn't like Al-anon!

It has been an interesting week with "R"AH. There have been signs all week long that he is slipping and sliding in his recovery (which I can fully admit that I am not surprised about at all). I can see how far I have come in my own recovery based on how much it has not affected me. Anyway we went out to dinner together alone tonight (not sure the last time that happened) and we start taking about things and the topic of Al-anon comes up. I told him how I really like the new group I went to last night and how I am going to try to go every Thursday night. He goes on to tell me about how those in his AA group make fun of Al-anon. How one guy in particular really can't stand it and how even his sponsor doesn't care for it. When I asked why, he told me he didn't know. I explained how it really surprised me since Al-non really just teaches great life skills in general so I can't imagine why they would not support it. I asked him to find out why since it seemed so odd to me. I personally do not think "R"AH likes me in Al-anon because of the changes in me which make his life less comfortable. A few times as I was talking about Al-anon he jokingly stated something about how they teach you to divorce your husband. I would just say no and move on. I'd really like to tell him he needs to find a new sponsor who understands and supports Al-anon, but that just doesn't seem like my place to do so. Personally I wonder if "R"AH doesn't need a new sponsor anyway since this one that he has had for a few years now doesn't seem to be able to keep him on track anyway. However I think RAH needs to figure that out on his own.

Your thoughts on this? I know some of you go to both AA and Al-anon so is this common for AA to bash Al-anon? I was working under the assumption they supported each other?!