View Single Post
Old 07-15-2011, 06:14 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
kittykitty

Originally Posted by Bewitched View Post
Nothing is wrong with us. We stay because we believe, we continue to hope, we love.
HA! I don't know about you guys, but there was, and still is to an extent, something very wrong with me. I can admit it, anyways. I was sick emotionally, physically, and mentally when I was living with active alcoholism. Searching vehicles, throwing tantrums, making threats, hiding the truth from others, trying to change someone that didn't want to change, living a miserable life.

There IS something wrong with someone who tolerates being used, abused, lied to, manipulated, walked on, crapped on, the whole gammit of things that we have all tolerated from someone who is supposed to "love us". There are serious self esteem and self worth issues there. But that's what happens when we have been affected by the disease of alcoholism, and that's why we are here, to get help.

Eventually we realize that we DO deserve better, we CAN get more out of life. We take responsibility for our own happiness, instead of expecting others to take care of it for us. We learn that our thoughts and feelings mean something, and that we deserve to be respected and loved. Sometimes the grass actually is greener on the other side, and i'm glad I hopped the fence to check it out for myself.