View Single Post
Old 07-14-2011, 03:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

As a full time codie-people pleaser, I spent much of my life seeking approval in all areas of my life. I needed my mother to approve, I needed my family to approve, I needed my husband, employer, friends, neighbours and even people I just met to approve. And I needed approval all day every day. What a huge burden that was, to keep the "approval" meter just right for everyone.

I was probably in my 40's before I realized that if I led my life well and did my best most days and pretty good the rest, the only approval that mattered was in my heart. Wow, what an epiphany that was. As long as I approved of me, it no longer mattered whether the rest of the world did or not. And the funny thing is, my "approval" rating with the rest of the world stayed about the same, good sometimes, critical others.

I don't have to be perfect. I can even have days when I am far from it, as long as I don't hurt others. I can have happy wonderful days, sad days, grumpy days, and quiet thoughtful days without worrying what others may think.

We ARE lovable. We ARE good people with a sad problem that we are dealing with as best we can. That's good enough. If I don't do well today, I will do better tomorrow or the next day.

Hugs to all the lovable people here. You ARE worthy of love and respect and good things in life. Believe it!