View Single Post
Old 07-13-2011, 08:16 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
GettingBy

Originally Posted by zrx1200R View Post
Bravo. Good to hear of some success. How long have they been "recovered" and living "happily ever after"?

Perhaps there is some hope.
There is always hope... always. It's up to us to open our eyes and LOOK for it.

My sponsor... she is a great example of what Al-anon recovery can do. Her and her husband, of 35 years, had separated and were getting a divorce. Her lawyer gently suggested Al-anon 6 yrs ago... b/c she was filled with anger, hatred, and resentments... surprise, surprise! 6 months into Al-anon - SHE was calmer, more peaceful... a happier human being... and by the grace of God - her husband decided to give AA a try (b/c he was attracted to this new person she was becoming!!)... several months later they started marriage counseling, and spent the next 5 years building a better, stronger, healthier marriage than anything she could have ever imagined. Not a PERFECT, happily ever after marriage... a real one with TWO partners who took responsibility for their part in the relationship. Who each focused on THEIR OWN recovery and "stuff."

There is no happily ever after to any story though. To want that, hope for that... will only set you up for dissappointedment. As for my sponsor, her husband died a year ago due to the years and years of abuse his body endured from his drinking. She's not angry that he's gone... she's soooo grateful to have found Al-anon, and he AA, and the 5 years they had of growing as human beings together.

People mistake sobriety for the "finish line", the happily ever after. It just can't and won't ever work that way. Why? Because we are humans. Our human condition is such that we will never be perfect, there will be mistakes made, and hopefully learning and growth - which all equal change and evolution. All that... is THE GOOD STUFF.

I'm grateful for my Al-anon program, the wonderful members of my home group, and my loving, adoring sponsor who has given me more hope, inspiration and happiness in the short time I've known her. She's taught me that my happiness is an inside job... and comes from focus on me, and working a solid recovery program - no matter what anyone else chooses to do or not do.

Thanks for letting me share!
Shannon