Old 07-09-2011, 02:35 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
stilllearning

Hi folks, an update.

HR took my complaint, scoped out what was investigate-able (is that a word?) and advised me that she would have the opportunity to respond to the claims in writing before they decided on next steps. Gulp. Talk about feeling vulnerable. I had a quick meltdown before realizing that if -I- had been out of line, or had done something to provoke the behavior, I wanted to know about it, warts and all.

Apparently her response was "detailed and thorough" - but the investigation closed last week and they couldn't breach her confidentiality by telling me what the exact outcome was - but the upshot is that she was out of line and there was "an outcome." I'm guessing this was a first verbal, or written warning. We have a room with a big glass door and I saw her sitting in there with two HR managers last Wednesday. She then took Thursday and Friday off.

Having her out of the office changed the whole mood of our floor. Seriously. In the last two weeks since the incident she had been even louder, even stompier and trying to make nice with people she had previously chewed out. She had also been spending an unusual amount of time around my workspace - kind of an alpha, territorial thing. All pretty stressful and really upsetting. My guess is that she didn't believe for a minute that she would be pulled into line (why would she? hasn't happened so far) and the "outcome" was a shock to her.

In the meantime ... unprompted and without my engaging, I've had several people from other business units raise with me that her behavior has been unacceptable. I was helping our CFO's assistant with some paperwork last week - this woman is in her 50s and pretty fearless - she was talking about papers she'd had to submit to the assistant I complained about and described her as being "terrifying" to deal with. That about sums it up. I just smiled and changed the subject. The payroll manager mentioned her in passing and said "you work up there, tellme - what is wrong with that woman?"

Anyway - it hasn't been a pleasant process and I don't think it was a "win" for anyone but I'm glad that HR has started a file. They really are serious about culture and she'll be out of there if it keeps happening, of that I'm confident. They're talking about letting the dust settle and seeing if she and I can both sit down at a table - we'll absolutely have to work together again at some point - and I'd welcome that too so that it's closed out.

Just wanted to let you all know how it went - thanks for the support and advice. It was much needed and helped get me across the line to take action. No more being bullied without speaking up - ever, I hope!

Hugs,

SL.