Old 07-08-2011, 10:00 PM
  # 303 (permalink)  
Murray4x5
Proud Neonephalist

Originally Posted by LaFemme View Post
Now how's the photography going?
Funny you should ask.

A couple days ago I was looking at the flowing lines of some small leaves on a low lying branch. In my minds eye I saw the finished print; what large format photographers call pre-visualization. It was the first time since being sober that has happened!

In that instant I knew how I would underexpose the negative a bit, then overdevelop it to increase the contrast, then I would make a special pin registered mask to snap some dark lines into the leaves, another mask to tone down some bright distracting objects on the ground, and how I would burn the prints edges to concentrate the viewer on the leaves.

Towards the end of my drinking days I was making bonehead mistakes at work and was incapable of linking together the interconnected technical steps needed to photograph effectively. That, and I just couldn't "see" anymore.

Today I was walking around, and compositions were coalescing again. I was filled with a deep, warming sensation I've never had before...like a profound joy, thankfulness, and pride all jumbled up.

Still haven't taken a photograph yet, but now that my eyes and mind are working again I'll soon be back in the saddle