View Single Post
Old 07-08-2011, 11:31 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
skippernlilg
Skipper

Originally Posted by Cyranoak View Post
You know who interprets kindness for weakness? Alcoholics and addicts do. It's one of the first signs for them indicating a possible enabler. Here's what happens next:
  1. If they don't have an enabler they quietly pursue you by being the kindest, most wonderful , most romantic person you've ever met. They share secrets with you they've never told anybody, and encourage you to do the same thus tightening the noose. They listen, and they are attentive lovers. In fact, you might even feel it to be "love at first site." Please hold while I puke my guts out. Good ****ing God.
  2. If they currently have an enabler you get put on the list. They'll maintain a friendship with you and start planting seeds for when their current enabler finally stops enabling. When that happens they start watering the seeds, often by comparing you favorably to their current enabler, or using the things you've told them about past boyfriends/girlfriends to behave differently or better-- temporarily. See number one.
  3. If you fail to respond or enable they will then disappear-- they don't have the time or inclination to deal with people who turn out to be healthy, or have the ability to set and enforce boundaries. They need a new enabler right now and they'll find one quickly.

More often than not, that's how it starts.

Take what you want and leave the rest.

Cyranoak
Yes!! That's happening now with my 'friend' who has bbq's. I think she's noticed I won't get into crazy-making with her, and it's just not working for her anymore. I haven't heard from her all week!