View Single Post
Old 07-06-2011, 04:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
mayabee

I am SO sorry for what you are going through. I have been there. Using meth to get off another drug is the worst idea ever- like setting your house on fire to stop the roof from leaking. Meth was my son's drug of choice - he is in recovery now but I know that he still struggles.

It's hard not to blame yourself- we gave our son a lot & enabled him for a long time trying to save him from hurt- we bailed him out of jail, gave him money, allowed him to live with us so he wouldn't be out on the street. In doing that, we also protected him from a lot of consequences that he should have experienced. However, eventually his using caught up with him.

We tried all kinds of things to get him to stop, but until he was ready it did no good. We as parents didn't cause his addiction and we also didn't cause him to get clean- both were out of our control.

I know it breaks your heart to think of your son on the street but giving him money isn't really helping him. It's important to set some boundaries- it's hard but otherwise his addiction can literally make you sick.

If there are Nar-anon meetings in your area, I encourage you to check them out- if not, Al-anon. It helps me tremendously to be around others who understand.

Glad you posted here! I'm pretty new to this forum but it is a great place for support. Take care & keep coming back!