View Single Post
Old 07-04-2011, 09:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Reset

Hi, thanks, and a message for newcomers

Hi, my post frequency has been waning lately but today I realized that I had hit 6 months a few days ago and didn't even notice. I'm not writing to get accolades; just living a better life is reward enough.

Moreover, I wanted to say thank you to all of the posters here on SR who unknowingly helped me along the way and today especially. I am on a business trip in another country and haven't thought much about drinking. But I'm with my boss, who lives in this country, and who is a great friend of mine. We used to go out drinking A LOT in the past so this was kind of a new experience for me. So far he's still drinking, like always, and we are still having a great time, like the old times.

And so far I haven't even wanted to drink but tonight after dinner we were given two bottles of very special, rare variations of a local liquor, served chilled, compliments of the house. I smelled one, and it smelled really good. I really wanted to try it, not to be drunk, but to taste it and have a new experience. My mind went back and forth. None. Ok just a half a shot. Ok just a tiny sip. Ok just roll some around on the tongue and spit it out. Ok just a tiny sip. ok...

What finally got me back to None was remembering some things I had read on SR over the months. Things like:

"your mind plays tricks on you"
"I meant to have just a sip and ended up on a 4 day bender"
"how could I throw away 4 years of sobriety by thinking I could have just one glass of wine?"
"I feel like hell, disappointed in myself for giving in"

And eventually I decided even a little sip was not worth it. Just like I wouldn't eat that extra donut or another piece of cake.

So the message I'd like to pass along to the newcomers is, please pay attention. There's a lot of wisdom in these pages, lots of lessons you can learn from people who have tried and failed. Even better, lessons from people who have tried and are succeeding.

Good luck everyone! And thanks to SR.