View Single Post
Old 07-04-2011, 12:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
TakingCharge999
A jug fills drop by drop

Sounds of life & death

So I got an eye infection and went to a hospital to have my eye checked.

There is a special area for eye related health issues..

So I was having some tests done and a man that was waiting to be called, falls to the floor. I thought he was having a seizure.

Then a fleet of doctors, nurses surrounds him... everyone else is shocked... I pay attention to his chest.. its not moving. They start resuscitation techniques, CPR, by that time they have him plugged to that machine that beeps with hearbeats... it sounds as if the man is gone... we are all listening. Then the beat comes back again and the man throws up, does all kind of deep guttural sounds - I gulp - it seems he is back... after a minute or so he is gone again and the scene repeats. By then the rest of the patients including myself were all pale - security had arrived and they had brought a stretcher for the man.. he comes back again, I had gone out for some fresh air.. he is put on the stretcher and the man passes by infront of me... they wait for the elevator to arrive and the man is gone again, the last scene I see is the doc doing CPR once again to him.

He was around 50.
They cleaned up and life continued in the eye clinic area as if nothing had happened.

I had never seen something like this in real life before, I have seen accidents etc. but not someone struggling between life and death... this was very impacting to me to say the least.

Fast forward to a night at home.. I am next to my sister who is breastfeeding her baby... quite a contrasting scene... I was paying attention to the desperate sounds he made to be fed, the expressions on his face. The end of a life, the start of a new one-

I am still trying to process through yesterday's events - thanks for letting me share here ..