View Single Post
Old 07-02-2011, 04:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
chicory

I was just thinking of my parents, and how they drank like fiends. and how they stumbled. how they wasted their money on it. How my mom, before she became an alcoholic, divorced my dad. He moved away. I did not see him alive again. He ended up in Florida. and it just hit me- my dad quit drinking! My dad did quit. He joined the volunteer fire dept. spent a few years happy, before he died at 57. I guess 4 years of happiness, after a life of hellish alcoholism, is a miracle.

My mother quit too. after she lost a kidney. she had maybe 10 years sober, tho she never got really healthy. she died at 62.

But, they did quit. There is hope sometimes, i guess. But they did not quit until they lost nearly everything. but they knew life as sober people again.. that makes me very happy, even tho they died very young from the abuse, I find this gives me a lot of happiness. I had overlooked the fact that they had stopped drinking. I just always thought of the sadness of their drinking years. what a gift i just got.

maybe there is hope for my son, too. maybe his grandparents are watching and waiting for him to find his self. and for me to let go. God help me, please.