View Single Post
Old 07-02-2011, 10:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
LexieCat
A work in progress

Did I say "competent homeowner"??

Remember how I was feeling all awesome about fixing my refrigerator that caused the leak into my basement? Last week, I had out here my insurance adjuster and my carpenter friend who is going to do the repair work for the damage caused by the leak. We went around and looked at everything, which had been all dried out with blowers and a dehumidifier.

So this morning, my carpenter friend came out to start some of the demolition work in preparation for preparing the insurance claim. He goes downstairs, and yells for me to come down--the leak apparently started AGAIN, and there's another HUGE pool of water in the basement. Everything we had dried out was all wet again.

We shut off the water supply, and he removed the replacement part. There was a rubber washer that had split in two that apparently caused it to start leaking again. He ran out and bought another new replacement part (he was able to find it at Lowe's), and fixed what I fixed before. The new replacement part has a much thicker rubber washer.

So now I am needing to get the blowers and dehumidifiers back out here, and start drying it out all over again. I guess the only good thing is that it gave out before he started doing the actual carpentry repair.

Not to mention the fact that I am still recovering from a cold that kept me home two days this week, and I have a big work project I am working on all weekend.

I swear my house hates me.