Old 07-01-2011, 07:30 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Leaping

What are you going to do when he does it again?

Cyranoak, I have been thinking about this. He called and apologized "for confiding in me" (interesting angle, that) and said he would not call or text again. I have decided that the next time he acts suicidal again, I will call the local 911. I am not a mental health expert, I did not stay in a Holiday Inn last night and I am not trained to handle threats of self harm.

THEN his father called me and asked me to back off of the divorce. He said he has been going to Al Anon and he has learned that what my AH (his son) needs is a GOAL. And they think his goal should be that he can have his family back. IF he had that as a goal, the depression would lift and he would be able to focus on recovery. Then he (his father) told me to think about it and that he loved me. He has never told me that in the almost 25 years I have known him.

Threw me for a loop. I admit I have not been to Al Anon, preferring instead to read/post here, read CoDep no More and other self help books so I do not know the teachings of Al Anon but I am willing to bet that giving A's a GOAL to get better is not part of the plan. Am I wrong?

Shouldnt the goal for him be sobriety???

And yes, to your next question - I am planning on attending Al Anon next month when the kids are back in school

thanks everyone for your kindness and thoughtful repsonses. I am rebuilding my own trust in myself, one small step at a time.