View Single Post
Old 07-01-2011, 11:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
recycle
Ethanol Intolerant

My psychologist wanted to put my on anti-anxiety meds. I told her no. The reasons are personal and may not have any value to you, so take my elubrications with a grain of salt: First, I am less anxious than I have been in forty years. I can still get spun up by simple everyday interactions, but it is so much better than it was. So she sees the pathology of me not being able to do everything 'normal people' do, and I see the growth of being able to do so much than I used to be able to do. Two, I would be self-medicating. Yeah, a MD is involved, but I have never had a problem getting whatever I want from a Dr. (I once went in for a cold and walked out with a ginormus bottle of Percocet.) So, for me, it would be a step in a direction that would end up getting me drunk.

Like I said, the above reasons are mine and may make no sense to anyone else. (That happens to me a lot, and I am ok with that.) As far as unintentionally losing you sober time - well Oak and Judy make excellent points. I think your intention is just as important as your action. Perhaps we should count recovery time by the date we wanted to stop and couldn't? Intention was really the first step wasn't it? IMO way too much is made of 'sober time', as if how long you have been on the path has any relationship to where you are on the path.

Good luck with however you decide to look at this. That is really the most important thing.