Old 06-30-2011, 05:55 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Thumper

Compassion and acceptance are two different things IMO. I think I have compassion for my ex. Now. Not so much when I was still with him. I have compassion for him and his struggles. I will not accept those struggles. I will not have them as a part of my life. They will never again be my struggles.

To me compassion is unrelated to giving someone a chance because they decide to dive into recovery. I own my past. I lived that past. Those things happened in my life. It doesn't so much matter if he was drunk, sober, active, dry, recovery. It is my history. I can honor that in anyway that moves me forward in a safe and healthy way. I can honor that in a way that will protect me from unwanted repeats. That, IMO, does not perclude compassion.

One definition of compassion is - a feeling of deep sympathy and sorrow for another who is stricken by misfortune, accompanied by a strong desire to alleviate the suffering.

Hmmm. I certainly have that in spades. One turn and two miles to Codieville, lol. I will no longer sacrifice myself to meet that end though.