Thread: Pet-Anon
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2011, 11:40 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
StarCat
Today is a New Day

The adoption of my kitten was my final step in officially deciding that my relationship with XABF was over, because XABF was always talking about how he hated cats and couldn't understand why anyone would want one. So it was a very big decision for me, and one that I am very grateful that I've made.

Peaches in a way has become a barometer of my own recovery. She's never met XABF, and never will, but she's seen me at my worst.
When I first brought her home, after she explored the entire apartment, she had to be by my side constantly. She'd sleep curled up next to me as close as she could get; she'd sit in my lap whenever I sat down; she'd rub against my legs wherever I walked; she'd climb onto my shoulders and stay there as I walked around the apartment.

As I've become more comfortable with myself, she's become more comfortable just being by herself, too. She generally prefers to be in the same room as me, but now she's got her favorite perches while I do what I'm doing. She likes to be close enough to observe me, so that she can determine if I'm going to pull out something good to eat or fun to play with, but she keeps herself amused. She'll still crawl into my lap, but now it's more of a very catlike "Why do you think that book is more interesting to look at than me?" action, and once I assure her that I love her too, she and the book return to peaceful coexistence. (Most of my books have bite marks in the corner of the cover now, though.)

She doesn't mind spending time in other rooms, now, if it looks like I'm busy with something so she knows it will be awhile until playtime. Sometimes I worry that I accidentally locked her in a closet, though, so I'll do my attempt of a meow, and she'll just happily meow back to let me know she's okay, and continue doing whatever it is she's doing.

She's good motivation to work through my emotions, since she's very good at picking up on them, and sometimes realizes I have a problem before I realize it.
She's also good at helping me realize the impact that simple negative events can have. For example, she's generally an extremely calm cat, but is currently afraid of the bathroom and running water since her bath on Sunday. Unfortunately she extended this fear to her water bowl and litter box as well, so there was an accident involving a throw rug Sunday night, but we've been spending some fun time together in the bathroom with the sink water running, her favorite toy, and lots of cat treats, so she's making a quick recovery.
I feel like a cat therapist right now.

But to be honest, she helps me a lot more than I help her. <3