Thread: Pet-Anon
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2011, 06:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
LexieCat
A work in progress

Pet-Anon

I didn't want to totally derail Mike's thread with more about annoying cats, but I've often said there should be some kind of Pet-Anon for animals who have suffered the effects of living with alcoholism.

I have two cats (litter mates) that my son and I adopted when he was living with me. "My" cat is relatively normal--she does normal cat stuff, will cuddle up when it's appropriate, but she isn't in my face 24/7. When he was living with me, my son lavished attention on "his" cat, carrying her around, petting her constantly. When my son moved back to Colorado, I had one year left of active drinking, during which I tended to hole up in the office with the door shut (to keep the cats out of the way). Whenever I came out, my son's cat followed me around, looking for attention.

When I got sober, and got a laptop so I could be on the computer in the living room, my son's cat thought she had died and gone to heaven. I shut my bedroom door at night (I don't like having the cats walking over me when I sleep or shedding in the bedroom), but from the minute I get up in the morning until I go to bed, if I am at home, my son's cat is stuck to me like glue. It doesn't matter how many times I gently tip her off the sofa because the wet nose against my hand is creeping me out, she jumps back up and does it again. Alternatively, she licks me, which also is highly annoying. It is gross having your bare toes licked (unless you happen to be into that sort of thing). She jumps on the counter to help me cook, she actively supervises any repairman in my house.

I would love to send her for some recovery so she could focus on herself, and not on me. This is what I see during most of my waking hours at home (insert my hand with nose pressed against it):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Isis online.jpg (97.2 KB, 131 views)