Old 06-28-2011, 05:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
marie1960

It hit me like a ton of bricks one day. And I knew I was done. We always maintained separate households, so that part was easy. I just told him to go home.

Guess it was just building up, as his alcoholism progressed, my tolerance for his BS lessoned. One evening I made us an exceptional dinner, and of course he was late in arriving, when he did arrive he was quite intoxicated, then he lies and tells me he only had three beers. As we sit down to dinner he makes a nasty comment about something that is absolutely none of his business, and goes on and on about it. Next comes the repeat of the same story, over and over. Then he tries to pull it together and says something kind, but it was too late. By now my appetite is deminishing, but I still thought I could get his mind on something else and try to salvage the evening.

At dinner he consumed another 4 drinks. When I went to the kitchen to get some napkins I noticed his fifth was half gone, so he was drinking doubles, and it was right then that something, somewhere smacked me along side the head and screamed in my ear NO MORE.

I go back to the dining room, he is heading for the recliner, can hardly stand up. I let him sleep there and in the morning when he brought me coffee and acted like nothing was wrong, I told him that his behavior and actions were consuming my very existance and I could no longer be involved with him. He has absolutely no desire to quit drinking, everything is fine and dandy in his world of Jack Daniels.

This whole experience has scared the hell out of me, I never put myself in this type of relationship before, I can truly understand how people get on that roller coaster and can't get off.

I will never substitute my judgement for anyone else's again. Amen