View Single Post
Old 08-18-2004, 06:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Lorelai

I've been working on this one myself, Breec.

I have replaced "hope" with "faith". Hoping for something implies that I know what should happen. I hope he quits drinking. I hope he comes home. I prefer to have faith that whatever happens is the right thing to happen. I don't have to decide what that is.

I feel that I should have expectations regarding the people in my life. I think that part of reason I am in this situation is that I've continued to downgrade my expectations of what I will accept.

I have to be sure my expectations are reasonable. People in my life should treat me with respect, honesty and decency. I think the important thing about expectations is this: Once we learn from experience that someone is unable to meet our expectations at this time, we shouldn't keep expecting them to do so. We should accept the fact that our expectations will not be met and decide what to do for ourselves based on that fact.

To continue to "hope" for an outcome we have already determined and continue to "expect" what we may never get diverts our attentions from the task at hand - ourselves.

L