Old 06-27-2011, 06:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
wywriter

Missed Al-anon, and irritated with myself now

Tonight is the night I'd decided I would attend my first Al-anon meeting. Despite the anxiety, I had everything ready to go. Then baby overslept on her nap and woke up half an hour before, screaming for food. I feed her, get ready to head out the door, and hear AH crying in the other room. He almost certainly broke his arm earlier today (going by what he says about it and the current size of it), and I told him that I would take him to the hospital if he wanted a ride. He sat for about 20 minutes telling me which bone he's pretty sure is broken, the exact type of plates he'll need (including the serial number), and how the VA will have to transfer him to the county hospital because they don't have a surgical division. Then he decided that he's just going to wait it out and see what happens -- I'm sure by time his anesthesia wears off he'll be ready to go, but the meeting is half over now. I'm pretty irritated with myself -- looking back I should have asked if he wanted a ride, if he didn't right this second then say, "Okay, see you in an hour, let me know if you want a ride then." I don't think he knows I was planning on Al-anon tonight (or that I've been thinking of it at all), so I doubt it was really purposeful, but I see definite room for improvement with how I personally handled it.