View Single Post
Old 06-26-2011, 12:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
24hrsAday

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Justfor1 View Post
I've been debating that question within my self lately. I posted about being denied SSDI because of substance abuse but I have encountered discrimination because of my alcoholism for over 10 years. What if alcoholism isn't really a disease and I've just been a selfish weak person my whole life? I'm starting to feel that way. I know the AMA labeled it a disease years ago but I feel most of society feels that it isn't. I once had a good sales job years ago & when I told my boss I needed time off for treatment he fired me. When I purchased a $10 bag of heroin I was arrested (and treated very harsh by the police) because it's illegal to purchase street narcotics. What other disease has the devastation that addiction has? Cancer is a horrible disease that wrecks havok on the body yet society is very sympathetic of cancer. People may ask why I care what society thinks but I have to some degree because I live within society. I'm staying sober barely and have so much anger I don't know what the heck to do. If I pick up the bottle and go on a bender with this anger something horribly and life altering to me will happen. I feel it. Depression and anger is a dangerous mix when added to booze/drugs. Thanks for reading I know it's kinda long. I'm going to a 5pm AA meeting tonite.
Great post Justfor1.. i look at it as an Affliction. but, that's just me. it all but killed me and all the while kept telling me "hey.. it's OK you Ain't that bad" society is what it is. i really care Much less now what most people think about me. i am staying clean and sober and doing the best that i can right now. that is my main concern.. glad you plan on hitting that 5pm AA! keep the chin up my friend!