View Single Post
Old 06-26-2011, 09:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Justfor1
1000 Post Club

Is Alcoholism Really A "Disease"?

I've been debating that question within my self lately. I posted about being denied SSDI because of substance abuse but I have encountered discrimination because of my alcoholism for over 10 years. What if alcoholism isn't really a disease and I've just been a selfish weak person my whole life? I'm starting to feel that way. I know the AMA labeled it a disease years ago but I feel most of society feels that it isn't. I once had a good sales job years ago & when I told my boss I needed time off for treatment he fired me. When I purchased a $10 bag of heroin I was arrested (and treated very harsh by the police) because it's illegal to purchase street narcotics. What other disease has the devastation that addiction has? Cancer is a horrible disease that wrecks havok on the body yet society is very sympathetic of cancer. People may ask why I care what society thinks but I have to some degree because I live within society. I'm staying sober barely and have so much anger I don't know what the heck to do. If I pick up the bottle and go on a bender with this anger something horribly and life altering to me will happen. I feel it. Depression and anger is a dangerous mix when added to booze/drugs. Thanks for reading I know it's kinda long. I'm going to a 5pm AA meeting tonite.