View Single Post
Old 06-25-2011, 01:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
lifeonerth
Adut Child of an Alcoholic

Hello- I know this thread is old, but I found it and this site after a web search for "alcoholic encephalitis" as my mother is now similarly afflicted. Obviously, I am also the child of an alcoholic and I know very well that it is a family disease and how it affects us even as adults and throughout our lives. One user recommended Alanon; I would like to throw in my two cents for anyone else who may find this as I did. Alanon is a wonderful resource for spouses and partners of alcoholics in particular. However, as an adult child of an alcoholic, I personally found their message did not quite "fit" with my situation and, at my father (who is also an ACoA)'s urging, I sought out the related 12-Step Program Adult Children of Alcoholics (ACA). They provide a wonderful support system and resource for people whose parents were Alcoholics or other Addicts and similar dysfunctional family systems, whether you yourself are an alcoholic/addict or not. Everyone's individual needs are different, so it is good to keep awareness of all the different resources available. If anyone has questions or wants to discuss further, you are welcome to contact me. Best wishes to all for happiness, good health, and serenity!