Old 06-22-2011, 05:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Zencat
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

My SSI disability claim was approved because of my severe mental illness. My psychiatrist told me that there is no definitive proof one way or the other on the exact causation of mental illness. He said there to many factors to consider and it would be difficult to pinpoint any one or combinations of factors to be absolutely certain of the correct cause.

I do know that being an alcoholic/addict is not enough to qualify for SSI. But if alcoholism/addiction had cause a disability:
12.09 Substance addiction disorders: Behavioral changes or physical changes associated with the regular use of substances that affect the central nervous system.

The required level of severity for these disorders is met when the requirements in any of the following (A through I) are satisfied.

A. Organic mental disorders. Evaluate under 12.02.

B. Depressive syndrome. Evaluate under 12.04.

C. Anxiety disorders. Evaluate under 12.06.

D. Personality disorders. Evaluate under 12.08.

E. Peripheral neuropathies. Evaluate under 11.14.

F. Liver damage. Evaluate under 5.05.

G. Gastritis. Evaluate under 5.00.

H. Pancreatitis. Evaluate under 5.08.

I. Seizures. Evaluate under 11.02 or 11.03.

sourse: SSA.GOV
Anyways my Dr thought that my childhood PTSD along with my harmful substance dependance is the likely cause my mental illness.

I sorry you were turned down for SSDI. I hope you can make things work out. The only I know of work things out is doing it sober. Please take good care of your health.