View Single Post
Old 08-17-2004, 01:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Disappointed

Trying to live with an alcoholic

I am new to the chat room, not new to living with an alcoholic. I have been married, divorced & remarried to the same alcoholic for 25 yrs. The biggest thing I have trouble dealing with is the disappointment that comes from living with this man. You can never make plans because you don't know if he will decide to go drink instead. When he needs a drink he is very nasty and irritable to live with and when he goes on one of his binges and gets drunk he is very hard to deal with because he feels so guilty. We was to meet for lunch today, his idea, but he decided later to be nasty so he would have a reason to go get drunk instead. The sad part is that he has to go to work and drive a semi. He is also a parttime law officer. He lives two lives. Some friends knows that he is an alcoholic, but some don't. He tries to keep it a secret. I am tired of living a lie. I don't know why I put up with this, our children are grown. When he is not needing a drink or is drunk he is my best friend. We have tried counseling separately and together, but he says he likes to drink and we all will just have to live with it. How or why do I keep living with constant disappointments from this man?