View Single Post
Old 06-22-2011, 02:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Seenet

Accepting my role as a supporter

Hello everyone,

I just discovered this forum today, in fact, and after doing some reading, thought it would be a good idea to sign up.

I'm a man in my early 30s, living in the greater Chicago area.

The long and short of it is, I have been married for 7 years to a recovering alcoholic. My wife has been sober for about 9 years, and up until recently, her sobriety and struggles with addiction have, for the most part, been non-issues in our relationship.

Recently, she has indicated to me that she hasn't felt supported by me, as I haven't asked a lot of questions, researched the role of a spouse of a recovering addict, nor have really talked to anyone about it. It has been bothering her lately because she has felt the desire to use again and is worried about her sobriety at the moment.

Because I love her and I wasn't necessarily trying to avoid the topic, I have started reading books and articles online in order to do a better job. Tonight, I am attending my first Al Anon meeting as well.

I am hoping this forum will help me see addiction from new angles, so that I can help the woman I love and save my marriage.