View Single Post
Old 06-21-2011, 10:07 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Cyranoak

You just told my story...

...but I'm eleven years into it. It gets worse, not better.

I'm going to make some suggestions now based on what your situation looks like in the long term if you don't help yourself right away.

Find the closest Alanon meeting and start attending--immediately. Try at least six meetings, some different, before you decide if it will work for you or not. Don't let God talk or anything else dissuade you from trying at least six meetings. Even if you decide later to stop going, if you keep an open mind AND LISTEN what you will learn during the six meetings will, in my opinion, fundamentally change your life for the better.

Do a search for my posts here, as well as the posts of Shellcrusher and ZXR1000. We've all been where you are now.

Also, stop trying to control her behavior or have conversations with her about her drinking. It is a monumental waste of time and will just make things worse. You have children to protect, and also yourself.

You know now the mistake you made, you aren't sure how to handle it (and that's ok), and you know now you have to do something about it. Alanon and this website are where you are going to find your answers.

Keep coming here, keep going to Alanon, and I believe things will get better for you. What you want may not happen, but what you need will.

Take care my friend,

Cyranoak

Originally Posted by griswold View Post
Hello all,

Well I just got done getting into an argument with my AW; she could tell I was pissed, so I told her that I was fed up with things and I was attending an Al-Anon meeting on Thursday and no longer want alcohol in the house. I told her she has been selfish with her emotions and I couldn't stand the up and down emotions. She had the kids in the car and the conversation ended with her saying "if you are so unhappy with me why don't you leave?" Not sure what to do at this point, figured posting here would be a good start. And like many other people on here this wasn't our first argument about alcohol. Sometimes the arguments are not directly about alcohol but can be tied back to it in some way.

Ok, so for a little history. My AW and I have been married for three months and have 50/50 custody of our three kids, I have two from a previous marriage and she has one. I'm not going to lie and say I didn't know there was a problem before we got married but as I have heard others say on here I thought things would get better, I don't know why I was fooling myself. Too be honest these last three months have been extremely difficult and has brought me to the breaking point. When she is not drinking she is the best. However when she drinks all that goes out the window and its not just when she is drunk. She deals with a lot of guilt from drinking so she shuts herself off emotionally, that's the hardest part. Then she feels bad emotionally so she drinks bury the pain.

It seems like a lot of important events since we have got married have been marred one way or another by drinking, including are honeymoon. I'm not totally innocent in things either. Before we met I hardly drank. My dad had a drinking problem growing up and I saw signs in high school so I stopped in my early 20's. Fast forward 13 years and now I find myself drinking 2-3 times a week. Some days I will drink to feel emotionally close to her, man that sounds bad. She will be down and want to have a couple of drinks with me and watch tv. I feel so emotionally distant from her that its all I can do to be close. Now, I'm fed up with it and feel so much guilt for contributing to things. I really don't know what to do at this point and feel helpless. Thanks to all who read this!