View Single Post
Old 06-19-2011, 06:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
a fallen man

648 days. thanks s.r.

it's been awhile since i posted and i've been meaning to do it. just stay too busy now that i don't drink and have become a responsible dad and husband.

not gonna lie. it sucked at first. i quit following a 3 day weekend in sept. of 09. 3 day weekends were always great and awful. great because i didn't have to work. awful because i'd be toxic on tuesday morning.

i honestly could not have done it without this place. i thank god it was here. i lived on here at first. i thank all of the regulars that encouraged me early on.

i've updated from time to time but it's been awhile. in the last year and 9 months i've been able to help my family so much.

i watched my oldest son graduate college in dec. of 09. 2 weeks ago i watched my youngest son graduate high school and later the same day my oldest son got married.

i've been able to renovate (rebuild 3 rooms) a house for the oldest son and his (now) wife.

i could not have done this under the influence. i never had the energy and my mind was stuck on when could i get my drink on. and once i got it on i wasn't doing any home construction...lol.

i know a newcomer reading this might think that guy doesn't relate to me. el-bull-crappo as my spanish challenged friend used to tell me. i didn't sleep the first 4 days i quit. i phyically ached. i craved.

every time i passed 'my' liquor store i wanted to stop. but reading the wisdom from those who went before me helped me. reading their encouragement gave me strength.

life is infinitely better now. sure...i have monetary setbacks...cars break. houses break. that's gonna happen straight or drunk though. fortunately i have more money now due to not drinking. though a son starting college in august will put me back in the poor house.

i just wanted to check in and say thanks to the 'every-dayers' that welcome all comers. God bless you.

and tell the newcomers they can do it.

love always,

david.