Thread: getting mad...
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2011, 06:04 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
LexieCat
A work in progress

Heh,

I owned property with the last guy I lived with (not an alcoholic, but a lot of similar behaviors). Everything was in my name (credit issues), but essentially we owned it together and he had contributed SIGNIFICANTLY in the improvement of the property. When I had to extricate myself from the property ownership (a year after we broke up), I did all the footwork and managed to sell it for four times what was owed on the mortgage. Since it was commercial property, and in my name, I was responsible for the taxes (and I was in a high bracket). No way around it.

I drafted an agreement, which he signed, that split the profits in half, and out of his share came money that he owed me and half the projected capital gains taxes. He got a certified check from me for $65k after all was said and done. The SOB had the gall to complain about it. I told him from now on, call my lawyer, we have no reason to talk anymore.

My lawyer got one letter from him, a year later, complaining about the split, and she just sent him a copy of the agreement he signed and my tax return showing what I paid in taxes. Never heard from him again.

My lawyer told me I could basically ignore the agreement and take all the money. That wouldn't have felt right or fair to me, but yeah, it DID **** me off that he was so freakin' ungrateful.

Whatever. I was free of him, and that albatross of a farm, and it was worth it to me to have the freedom. If I'd fought with him over it, it would have been a horrible ordeal.

Look at it this way, you are done. Unscathed. You will build your savings back up. Let it go--you got off cheap.