Thread: Night Terrors
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2011, 08:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
JustAYak
Clever Yak

Hey Pigtails.

I have to admit that it's been difficult for me to get a routine down as well. I started a new job a bit ago and I work odd hours, which switch every couple weeks from the night shift to the day shift and they are really LONG shifts (12 hours). Luckily I'll be leaving it in a couple more months but that doesn't mean I don't need a fix now. To me a routine doesn't have so much to do with the time frame as the actual ACTIONS I am taking. After work I always take my dog on a walk, no matter if it's 7 am or 7 pm, depending on when I get off. Then I will eat, then I will sleep, no matter the time.

Waking up and going to bed at a certain time has never worked for me, not because of my job or anything, but because I find it difficult to fall asleep in general. And when I do sleep, I get nightmares or night terrors, of course occasionally I'll sleep well . I have found that prescription sleep meds work for me for a little bit...but eventually I build up a tolerance and they don't work anymore. I'm not sure that's what you're really looking for though since you can get to sleep. I haven't found a solution for it yet, my doc just keeps switching me around. As for anxiety meds though, they help a lot in my experience. It takes a bit to find the right one, but I was prescribed one for my PTSD/Depression and it's helped me immensely. That doesn't mean it'll work for you, but I'd say it's worth a shot. There's not much to lose unless you're a bit strapped for cash. If they don't work for you, you'll know it and will probably feel like a zombie for a few days. If so, tell your doc and they'll either taper you off or switch you to something else (if you want). If you do happen to go ahead and try medication, make sure your doc knows you're an addict so they won't prescribe you xanax or something addictive.

Before jumping into meds though I would really try and see if you can manage to nail down a routine. I think it would help. In my own opinion, I try to be on the least amount of medications as possible because 1) I save money, and 2) I feel more like myself when I don't have to take medications. That is not to say I feel like a zombie on my medications, but I would like the fact that I could thrive on my own without a medicinal boost, I guess. I still have a long ways to go in my therapy until I reach a point where I *may* be able to stop them, but I'm finding the meds are working for me right now and that's all I can ask for. For right now, I'm better with my meds than without.

Oh, way to go on your sober time too . Keep it up!! A lot of people have using dreams for the first few weeks or even months after they quit. Power through them, they don't mean a damn thing. Just be aware that it's normal .