Thread: Bummer
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2011, 04:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
LexieCat
A work in progress

Amy,

What clubs can she go to when she's 18? When I was in HS, in Colorado, they had 3.2 beer clubs--3.2 beer was legal to drink when you were 18, but you had to be 21 to buy anything else.

I know, I feel like the old fogey going on about "kids today". My younger son is also not a bundle of ambition, but he has always had jobs and is far better adjusted, socially, than his brother. I have a feeling he will make out OK once he gets his butt in gear.

But I remember getting my first job after college (a tech-writing job). Originally we all were hired temporarily, but six months later we got permanent offers, and the same weekend I got hired permanently I found my first apartment, furnished with all second-hand stuff except for an $89 dinette set I bought new. I couldn't WAIT to be on my own, and I even enjoyed paying my own bills. Heck, even with all my debt now, there's part of me that enjoys paying bills because *I* am responsible for ME. It's a cool, independent feeling. Seems like most young people today feel that they need a new car, and all kinds of new, expensive STUFF before they move out on their own.

*sigh*