Old 06-14-2011, 12:57 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  
ANEWAUGUST

Need help... Binge drinker ruining our relationship

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi all! I am a newbie and have reviewed several posts on here. I need a little assistance and words of advice.
I am engaged to a great man who truely loves me and would do anything for me. I feel the same way about him. Here's the kicker... He is a binge drinker. He does not drink everyday or every weekend but when he gets into that mindset of Partytime, it's all the way. He can't stop or will not stop after one drink. It usually ends up with him drinking till everythings gone or he passes out. Usually the night ends with him vomitting.
His behavior has embarrassed me and makes my family very uncomfortable. His 7 yo daughter even asked him to stop drinking one night.
Finally we had a huge blowout and it ended in me telling him to get help or I'm calling the wedding off. I told him to use my EAP services thru work and go speak to a counselor, which he has done 1 times.
Here is my big problem... Now that he is not drinking he is getting high all the time. It still effects our relationship since he zones out and cannot communicate. Also if he's not drinking then he has nothing in common with his or my friends.
How do I handle this and should I feel guilty when I go have a drink with my friends or a glass of wine when we are home together?

This was your post when you first came here back in January. It is June, has anything changed?

I wish you the best of luck as you seem to have already made up your mind and are entering into this marriage with eyes wide open.

However, most brides to be don't look for support on an alcohol forum before they get married. If you take your vows seriously, marriage is supposed to be a lifetime committment.

Alcoholism is also for life...once we turn into a pickle, we can't go back to being a cucumber.

Good luck...