View Single Post
Old 06-14-2011, 07:55 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
CoveredInRain

Update: The meeting went great.

It was held at a facility that a local man opened up on his own. It's a sober clubhouse and there are tons of meetings there each day.

I walked in and saw a huge room with couches, a pool table, pizza, and a flat screen tv. A bunch of people had come together to watch the Bruins game (I'm from Boston). I introduced myself and said that this was my first AA meeting ever. They welcomed me with hugs and immediately gave me their phone numbers. They told me the meeting was in the room next door but to come back over later to watch the game.

There were about 20 people in the meeting. Everyone was really nice. It was great to hear stories similar to mine. I talked a little about myself and it felt so great to open up.

After the meeting, I went over to the TV side and watched the game with a bunch of people. It felt so great. They all invited me back to watch game 7 tomorrow night. I can't wait.

They also gave me a pamphlet of activities during the summer: Pizza parties, dances, karaoke night, stand up comedy.....all sponsored by this clubhouse. It is going to be so nice to have sober people to talk to and sober activities to attend.

It felt like a really comfortable place to be and everyone there said that they consider it a second home. I don't think I could have had a better first experience. =)