View Single Post
Old 06-13-2011, 09:08 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Tuffgirl

Originally Posted by m1k3 View Post
I have been meditating on this thread for days now. I can't find the post to quote it, and to give credit, but someone said something to the effect that he/she used al-anon and SR as their higher power.

This thought didn't grab me at first but it sure planted itself in my mind. The proactive 12 steps were close but still not quite right for me.

What I have come to accept is that the collective wisdom, experience, strength and hope of Al-Anon and SR is my higher power. I seek the wisdom of those who have successfully traveled this road before me. I renew my strength with the strength of those who are going through what I am going through and sharing their experiences. I get hope from those who are battling against the same demons. I realize that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts and I draw upon this collective power every day. I willingly immerse my self into the group to gain the support and wisdom I need to continue my recovery.

My higher power is something that is outside of myself yet is profoundly a part of me. It is all of us working together to help each other heal and recover. It is spiritual in a non-mystical manner and it is very strong.

I hope this ramble makes sense to someone else. It just felt right to share it here. To add it to part of the collective memory.

Take what you want and leave the rest.

Your friend and partner in recovery,
A wise woman I know and love calls this concept "one's higher self".