View Single Post
Old 06-11-2011, 10:57 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
nandm
Life the gift of recovery!

I think there is a difference between the early sobriety anxiety and a true chronic anxiety disorder.

I wonder if you just worded your original post in a way where it was misinterpreted to mean that you were substituting one problem for another.

From what I understand regarding your last post the xanax is prescribed for a chronic anxiety disorder. In that case if you are taking it to help relieve your anxiety and taking it as prescribed then that is not a problem.

I do encourage you however to consider that there is an increase in anxiety during early sobriety that happens to nearly everyone even those without a chronic anxiety disorder. I think that is the concern of those that have replied. That you are not treating your chronic anxiety but treating the normal increase in anxiety related to getting sober. That is a legitimate concern as one would not want to trade one addiction for another. But only you and your doctor are qualified to make that determination.

I take klonopin for PTSD which has led to a chronic anxiety disorder. The key for me is that I only take it when my anxiety level is in that overstressed or unmanageable mode. I do not take it for regular or a bit high anxiety level. I only take it as prescribed and check my motives before I take it; am I taking it to run away from a situation, am I using it to treat the everyday anxiety in life, etc.... I think that many people experience a bit of social anxiety and that is normal but when it comes to the point we are avoiding all or most social situations because of the anxiety there is a problem for me that is when I treat my anxiety in social situations.

I do apologize for misunderstanding your initial post. Take care and do be careful with the med as addiction is a serious concern with any of these types of medications and no one wants to trade one addiction for another.