View Single Post
Old 06-10-2011, 08:31 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
jamaicamecrazy

I remember telling my priest before we got married that I thought the only thing that could come between us was alcohol. I did not see him as an alcoholic but I knew full well that he drank. I thought maturity and responsibility would kick in. He was responsible for the most part but looking back I don't remember a single holiday, birthday, vacation, weekend that alcohol was not consumed. It caused a great deal of anxiety, anger and resentment. Toward the end he had more of a relationship with alcohol than he did with me. I realize that it was not that he drank more-quantity or frequency. He just started having more trouble dealing with life when he was sober. He was so bound and determined to prove that he had some control over his drinking even though he admitted that he drinks more than most. So he tried very hard to keep it to 3 nights a week.but the other 4 were getting harder and harder. Finally he said he did not want to be anyone's partner. He wanted to do what he wanted when he wanted. He gave up his house, his marriage, his friends and even his children to some extent. There is only one thing he is not willing to give up.