View Single Post
Old 06-10-2011, 11:27 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Thumper

I have found that if I know something, and it is important to me in some way, but I keep the knowing a secret - well it sits there and becomes a boulder in the relationship. I can't un-know it. They can't deal with the boulder sitting between us because it is invisible to them. I am a super secretive person and have all kinds of issue surrounding that so I may be way off base when it comes to a 'normal' person. I admit that.

I agree with everyone that says a confrontation is going to get you nothing but more water under the bridge. It is no surprise at all that he lies about things. Even if he just ordered it and then ultimately walked away without tasting it, it isn't surprising that he would omit that.

What about a non-confrontational approach that focus on what your struggle are.
"Honey, when I was doing laundry I found a Bacardi receipt in your pocket. I felt (scared, sad, panic, mad whatever is true for you). I'm having a hard time moving past that feeling without talking with you about it." Then stop and see what he says. You don't necessarily have to respond to what he says. Just take it in and let it rest until you have your counseling appt.

On the flip side say nothing and wait for more to be revealed. That is almost always a winning plan too.