View Single Post
Old 06-08-2011, 09:56 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Supercrew

I'm not saying it is a conspiracy Dee. I came here with a real drinking problem. But the more I focused on the problem rather than the solution it got worse. Once I came to the self realization that "oh crap, I can't stop, I'm an alcoholic", it embedded itself in my brain and then the thoughts of "I think I have a problem I cant stop drinking for a month", became "I can't get by today without a drink", which then became, "I can't stop thinking about drinking and I need one now".

I think it lends itself to why there is a progressive nature to the mental aspect of the problem. I'm not saying that newcomers should be greeted with, "you don't have a problem", but at the same time the negative messages really have an impact.

I'm not a hypochondriac, but if I have an ache or a pain in my chest and I go to webmd, it is very easy to start to believe I am having a heart attack when it is really just a gas pain. But the more I think and believe it is a heart attack I will start breathing faster and panicing and my body will react to what my brain believes might be true.

Again SR has been fantastic for me, but the body will react to what the brain perceives as true.