View Single Post
Old 06-08-2011, 01:33 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
SoloMio

Sorry, I'm going to hog the floor again, because I read on on that website I quoted from, and I also like what the writer says about how you know that you are following God's will (it kind of relates to a recent thread I started about decisions that don't feel like decisions because they just feel "right").

Another key to discernment is a 'sense of peace' about something. That peace must take place not by itself, but within the rest of the framework of discernment, or it's not divine. Yet the absence of such peace is, by itself, bad news. Such peace and security comes and grows with prayer. Peace is a gift God is more than happy to give. God wants us to have some sense of security about what we do. Since God is not a God of confusion, it will not do in God's purposes for God's followers to be confused, or be confusing.

"I fear that many people seek to hear God solely as a device for securing their own safety, comfort and righteousness. For those who busy themselves to know the will of God, however, it is still true that "those who want to save their life will lose it." My extreme preoccupation with knowing God's will for me may only indicate, contrary to what is often thought, that I am overconcerned with myself, not a Christlike interest in the well-being of others or in the glory of God."
Dallas Willard, *Hearing God*, p. 28

Some hints which confirm:
--- a chance encounter with just the right person;
--- a thought or conviction that keeps growing;
--- something from the Bible which comes to mind;
--- something said in conversation which keeps coming to mind;
--- an opportunity which suddenly opens up.
--- it 'bites back', becoming harder to stop the more you or anyone else tries to hold back.

These hints mean nothing by themselves, but can mean a lot when taken together.
I have some very meaningful examples of these "signs" in my own life in which some pretty tough decisions resulted in inner peace. So I believe firmly that this is how we work with our HP.