View Single Post
Old 06-08-2011, 09:52 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Pigtails

Originally Posted by CheekyAngel View Post
Im just looking for alternatives for me so i can go out to a group and not drink. I use drink to medicate the anxiety and i know in the long run of this its going to make me end up with more problems and i have enough problems thank you very much!

I have been on loooodza different meds and none of then have done me any use. The only one i have found to be benificial for a situation is Xanax.

I know what you mean froglet, but i wouldnt be using the xanax to get on a 'buzz', id be using it to get me out and socialize. Id usually pre-drink to do this on the weekends (coz id be witha group) and if i give up drink for a bit then...simply i wont be socializing. Like i cant even go to the shop, when i do i have this high anxiety flowing around in my body and if that is really hard for me to do, there is no way i could go out to a group of people.

About the gateway situation, for me even to go out on the weekends opens the gates. Reason for that is here, where i live, the weekends are a time to messed up. So maybe i shouldnt even go out (more!)...

(reading back over all that, im not sure it makes sence!)
Hi Cheeky I too have the issue of wanting to go out and not drink but not being able to handle the social anxiety well without drinking. I'm beginning to think the solution at least temporarily is either not to go out, or to only go out with supportive friends I feel comfortable with who know my current situation and will support me. So we could go to dinner and a movie but not to a club. Or if we go to a club they don't pressure me to drink... but I'm not sure I wouldn't feel anxious and/or bored without alcohol at a club. I definitely know I don't want to sit around in a bar doing nothing but drinking anymore. I would rather stay home! Regardless I just do not want to drink so if that takes not going out, fine, time to stay in. :-)