View Single Post
Old 06-07-2011, 09:17 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
passionfruit

Originally Posted by FLsunshine View Post
Are you unhappy that you couldn't help the kids sleeping on your couch because you realized that: THEY ARE WHERE THEY WANT TO BE RIGHT NOW. but still seem to enable them by allowing them to eat, shower and sleep over occasionally.
And your "pissy mood" post was more about them?

Have you ever heard of tough love? It was popular in the 80's me thinks. parents set clear boundaries for their kids. They locked the doors at a specified time that had been made clear to the kid....and other boundaries as well...
Then when the kid came home he was locked out. The parent had a location of a friend, neighbor or relative where the child could go. when the boundary was respected, they were allowed back home.

The truth is these particular kids have told me that their alcoholic mother packed up and moved a couple towns over and left them in a place alone.

They both are in secondary technical education and are going to school while still bouncing from house to house.

I don't know if the alcoholic mother bit is true, but i know for a fact they are in school and have expressed determination to see it through. They make it every day no matter where they have slept the night before and more often than not walk to school.

They clearly are trying to help themselves. I sure as hell dont see givng them food, shower, and an occasional bed as enabling. these kids are immature brats at worst. punks at best. If they were thugs, you might have a point.

Since they are helping themselves, while being punk kids. I fail to see what behavior I am enabling. these kids will outgrow this in time. They eventually will get tired of this life.

The sticking with school at all costs thing is clearly an indicator of that.

i think you are confused on the issue.