View Single Post
Old 06-06-2011, 11:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
lillamy

(((hugs)))
Keep going to Al-Anon. Seriously. I have a love-hate relationship with that organization -- I must have gone to 20 meetings before I felt I got anything out of it. I think a lot of it is that when you first walk in the door, you want to be handed tools to fix things, whether it's your alcoholic or yourself. And it doesn't work that way.

It's the healing properties of the stories shared, and the things you gradually learn (and re-learn, and grow in) while you're working the 12-step program for yourself, that help you. There's no quick fix. It took you a while to get into this mess, and it's going to take you a while to get out.

And of course you're crying. No matter how glad you are to get out, you're grieving a relationship; you're grieving the hopes you had for the future; you're scared of "what now?" and you're exhausted from the emotional turmoil.

Give yourself a lot of grace. Cut yourself a lot of slack. Eat that takeout food you normally would consider too high in calories. Let yourself take a nap after dinner. Give yourself a lot, lot, lot of space, mentally and emotionally.

And keep going back to Al-Anon. And keep coming back here. (((hugs)))