Old 05-30-2011, 07:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Pelican
peaceful seabird

Originally Posted by dancingnow View Post
I was looking at my DD sociology book and under the section of divorce there was section on one-parent families where it states "single parents are subject to a special set of stresses and strains." It goes on to list "responsibility overload" - responsibility for making plans and decsions, ensuring care and well-being of families alone, "task overload" - single handling of all the tasks usually distributed between two people - maintain home, care for children and perform satisfactorily in their jobs, spend so much time on a daily basis, no time for themselves, and "emotional overload" -coping with their children's emotional needs in addition to other stuff which means emotional needs and wants of single parents go unfulfilled. And of course being at a financial disadvantage adds a lot of stress.

Reading this helps me face the reality that I am already living this life. .
Yes, Yes, Yes!

Your eyes are open to the truth.

The three stages of recovery (three A's)
Awareness
Acceptance
Action

You are aware of the reality of your role in a marriage to an active alcoholic (you are the sole responsible adult)
You are accepting this reality
You are setting your mind to take actions

Bravo to you! You are doing an amazing job as a Mom and as a wise woman facing her responsibilities.

I especially like that last line in your above quote: "It also helps me to have a little compassion for myself and give myself a break for whatever might go wrong."

I needed that reminder today, thank you! I need to remember progress, not always perfection as I continue to walk and grow in recovery. I will make mistakes along the way, and I will forgive myself. I will also try to remember to set the same example for my children.

I am sending you support and encouragement!
(((hugs))) too!

You are not alone, we are here to support you as you travel a new path!